Monday, February 8, 2010

Taking A Moment to Be Still

Wholeheartedly. This word has cropped up more than once in our Old Testament reading. I believe I’ve even written about it’s significant before. As Christians, we are called to follow God in such a way. Not half-headedly, not reluctantly, but wholeheartedly, with our whole being. In Joshua 13-15 we see the land beginning to be divided among the Israelites. Their inheritance was finally being realized. In these chapters of lists, once verse stood out in particular, the verse in which Caleb is honored for his devotion to God. Caleb had just asked Joshua for the land of Hebron, and it had been given to him. The next verse says, “So Hebron has belonged to Caleb son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite ever since, because he followed the LORD, the God of Israel, wholeheartedly” (Joshua 14:14b). What an admirable thing to say about a man late in his life. This portion of scripture tells us that Caleb was 85 years old (vs.10). He’d liven most of his life waiting for the promise land to come to fruition. At the age of 40 he scoped the land out, and then lived all those years since battling the local peoples of the lands. Finally, before his death, he’s given the land of Hebron for his family, and it’s noted that he was a man who loved the Lord with all of his heart.

I wonder if God would say the same thing about me at the end of my life. Will He say that I loved Him whole-heartedly, or any when I slowed down enough to think about Him? I’ll admit it, I’m much more a Martha then a Mary. In today’s reading in Luke 10: 25-42, I was once again reminded about how similar I am to the busy sister. I don’t really know how not to be busy. I think it’s ingrained in me. But just the same, if I’m to live my life whole-heartedly for Christ, I know that I need to slow down so that I can actually hear his voice. Here’s what Jesus said in Luke 10:41-42, “‘Martha, Martha,’ the Lord answered, ‘you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.’” What was that one thing? I think it was taking the time to sit at the feet of Jesus. It was taking the time to worship and adore the Savior that I’m so thankful for. It was stopping and being still, even for just a few minutes, in order to hear his voice. A verse I’ve clung onto for years is Psalm 46:10, which says, “Be still and know that I am God.” Being still is so tremendously hard for me, but it’s something I strive for just the same. For I do love Him wholeheartedly and want that to be evident in my life.

What about you? In the craziness of life, do you ever take the time to be still and truly worship the Lord? Do you love Him wholeheartedly?

Lord, thank you for your great love for me. Help me to dwell in your presence today and everyday. I love you Lord with everything that I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment