Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Prodigal Son

Today’s Reading: Judges 16-18; Luke 15:11-32

Whenever I read the parable of the Prodigal Son, I’m reminded of a book I read in college. The book, The Return of the Prodigal Son by Henri Nouwen, takes a look at the famous painting by Rembrandt that depicts this well known parable. In this painting the father is welcoming home his son, while the older son and two servants looked on. The book asks you which person in the parable you identify yourself with the most. At times in my life I have been the prodigal son, the background observer, and the hardworking older brother.
I have been a Christian since I was a little girl. I’ve worked hard, made good decisions, and have never walked away from my Savior. I can understand a little bit what the older brother might have been feeling on that day when his father lavished so much upon his prodigal son. The last two verses of this section are the words that are truly meant for me today, “'My son,' the father said, 'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found' " (Luke 15:31-32).
God is calling me to not judge, but instead rejoice when a lost soul comes to Him. Just as we read about the lost sheep and lost coin, God is searching earnestly for every lost soul in this world. Not one of us has sinned anymore than another. Instead, we are all desperately in need of a savior.
Today I rejoice for every person that finally decides that they are sick of this world, and runs into the arms of Jesus. I, too, rejoice on their homecoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment