Thursday, February 18, 2010

Humility is What I Long For

“For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted” (Luke 14:11).
In Judges 9-10 we read about Abimelech, a man who was certainly not humble of heart. He had his own self-interests in mind, and reeked havoc on the Israelite people. It’s a sad story, full of gory details. But it once again shows a period of Israelite history in which God’s chosen people were rebelling and putting themselves before their God.
Humility is a hard thing to come by. It’s not always the easy road, not always the prettiest thing, but it’s what God calls us to as Christians. In Luke 14:1-24 Jesus tells a parable of humility. It’s a mindset, a matter of heart, an outlook on life. In this world we might not always be rewarded for our gracious acts, but God knows the heart.
That truth is something I have to grab a hold of on the hard days. On the days when I chose humility, without getting any recognition. On the days when I take the harder road with little results. Those are the days when I have to remind myself that my true treasure is in heaven, not here on earth. Humility is a tough thing to exhibit. Sometimes it means putting my loved ones first, doing the dirty jobs, or simply stepping out of the way so that others get the recognition. However it looks, I truly want to be more humble in my life.
What about you? What does humility look like in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment