Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Seal Over Your Heart

Today’s Reading: Song of Solomon 6-8

There’s something unique about the Song of Solomon. In the middle of the Old Testament, we suddenly find a book of the Bible far different then any other. This book gives us an insider view into a romance. Some say that it’s the romance of king Solomon and one of his wives, while others view the Song of Solomon as a more figurative look at God’s love for his people. I don’t know which view is the most accurate, but I do know that the words written are beautiful ones.
As a girl I longed for a romance like the one described within these verses. I longed for someone to look past my imperfections and see me as the most beautiful girl in the world. While some of the endearments didn’t quite make sense (hair like a flock of goats?) I found them beautiful just the same.
What often struck me when reading through these chapters was the warning by the beloved echoed three times throughout the book. Three times she warns other women to not “arose or waken love until it so desires” (8:4). For me, this meant a lot of patience, and waiting on God’s timing instead of my own. There were so many times I wanted to be in love so badly, but God knew that there were things that needed to be worked on in my heart5, before a relationship could come along. More then anything, I needed to learn to depend on the Lord for my ultimate happiness. I needed to learn that a human love relationship would never fulfill me as completely as God could. When I finally grasped this, He gave me the romance I’d been waiting for. One that was far different then anything I had ever imagined, but one that was far more perfect for me.
I’m so glad I waited on God’s timing, instead of rushing into love when I wasn’t yet ready.


“Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame. Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot wash it away. If one were to give all the wealth of his house for love, it would be utterly scorned”
(Song of Solomon 8:6-7 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment