Thursday, July 29, 2010

Angels Among Us

Yesterday’s Reading: 1 Kings 12-13; Acts 11

Today’s Reading: 1 Kings 14-15; Acts 12

"Then Peter came to himself and said, "Now I know without a doubt that the Lord sent his angel and rescued me from Herod's clutches and from everything the Jewish people were anticipating" (Acts 12:11 NIV).

Sometimes I forget about the tremendous spiritual battle going on all around me. I forget that angels and demons are very real things. I get caught up in my reality, and forget the larger truth surrounding me. I forget that I live in a fallen world, a world in which Satan is having a heyday, and doing everything he can to keep people from knowing the one, true God. He especially loves to attack those who already belong to God. He preys on our weaknesses, demeans and belittles us, and makes us feel unworthy of the love of God. But even in those moments God provides. At times He provides through an encouraging word, a helpful friend, or, as in Peter’s case, an angel. God is always there, helping His people stay strong through all of the things the devil throws our way.

In Acts 12:11, Peter was about to be killed for his faith. But God gave him a way to freedom through the help of an angel. Can you imagine and angel coming to your rescue? How cool would that be?

Because angels exist to this day. They are God’s messengers and servants, always at his beck and call. While it may seem hard to grasp, we, too, are ministered too by angels. We are protected from things we don’t even see or comprehend. And perhaps, someday, we’ll even talk to an angel. What a spectacular thing that would be!

One of my favorite passages of scripture is Psalm 91. It’s a precious passage that many of my military friends and I hold close to our hearts, because it reminds us of how God keeps us, and our loved ones safe, even in the midst of battles and wars. The words ring true for all of us, and remind us of God’s protection of us each and every day. As I leave you with a portion of this psalm, consider how God has protected you through the years. How have you seen Him at work? How could you depend on Him even more?

“For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. You will tread upon the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent. ‘Because he loves me,’ says the LORD, ‘I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation’” (Psalm 91:11-16 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment