Friday, July 2, 2010

The Proverbs 31 Wife

Today’s Reading: Proverbs 30-31; Acts 5:22-42

I’ve always admired the Proverbs 31 wife. She seems to have it all so together. She’s smart, strong, dignified, handles the family finances, and weaves her own linens. But most of all, she makes her husband look good. Because of her good, hard working nature, he is “respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land” (vs. 23 NIV).
What an honor, for your husband to look good because of you! I long for the same thing to be said about me. So many of the women in Proverbs seem to put men to shame. They tempt them, ridicule them, and cause discord in their lives. Instead of doing this, the Proverbs 31 brings good into the lives of her family. Her children and husband call her “blessed” because of all her hard work (vs. 28). They value her upright character and giving spirit. Instead of thinking about herself, the Proverbs 31 wife seems to always be putting others first. She loves her family so much that she wants them to look good.
This is the same desire I have in my own life. I want my husband, and future children, to be respected because of me. I don’t want to drag them down, but instead what to encourage and lift them up. It’s a hard thing to master, but something I’m willing to improve on through the years.

What do you think about Proverbs 31 woman? In what way can you strive to be more like her?

Lord, thank you for this beautiful example of the kind of woman I can be. Help me to always love and serve those around me with a giving heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment