Monday, December 7, 2009

Numbers 34-36; Luke 1:57-80

At the end of Luke 1, we are told that Zechariah was filled with the Holy Spirit and began to prophesy. He had these words to say about his newborn son, John:

76And you, my child, will be called a prophet of the Most High;
for you will go on before the Lord to prepare the way for him,
77to give his people the knowledge of salvation
through the forgiveness of their sins,
78because of the tender mercy of our God,
by which the rising sun will come to us from heaven
79to shine on those living in darkness
and in the shadow of death,
to guide our feet into the path of peace."

John had a very special purpose in this world. He was the one who prepared the way for the coming Messiah. He would live his life preaching the good news, and even die a brutal death because of it. John’s purpose was clear from the moment he entered this world. My purpose has not always been as clear. I look at myself, at the life I live, and at the spiritual gifts God has given me, and wonderful how these things will ever be used for his glory. I wonder if my life will ever have any significance. I wonder if I’ll ever amount to anything. Have you ever felt similarly? Have you ever felt that you’re life has no real purpose? In these verses above, we have a great reminder of what truly matters in this world. Jesus. Our ultimate purpose is to worship him and proclaim him with every ounce of our being (see Matthew 28:18-20). If we’re doing this, that’s all that truly matters. Jobs, stations and life, even relationships, may come and go, but the Lord will always be there, waiting for us to totally surrender and worship him. He has shone the light on the dark parts of our lives and saved us from a life of sin. For that, I’m eternally grateful. Yes, my earthly, day to day career might still have a big question mark hanging over it, but I know that my ultimate purpose and identity is secure in my Savior. What about you?

Lord, thank you that my real purpose has been known since the day you created me. I’m meant to worship you and live my every moment for you. Please teach me how to do this today.

No comments:

Post a Comment