Thursday, December 10, 2009

Deuteronomy 1-2; Luke 2:1-24

“But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart” (Luke 2:19).

It’s just one small verse, but it catches my attention every time I read through the gospel of Luke. This verse says that Mary “treasured up” the moments when she held the Savior of the world in her arms. The Greek word for treasured is syntēreō which means to preserve or to keep with one’s self, to keep in mind.” She preserved these memories of a beautiful, simple time, so that she would have them in later years. She considered the honor and privilege of being chosen to be the earthly mother of Jesus. She did not take these experiences lightly, but instead she treasured them.

How often do I go through life and not really consider the blessings God has given me. How many mornings do I wake up, look at my husband, and not thank God for him? How many times do I open the cupboard, take out some food, and not thank God for his provision? How many times to I truly praise my God for what he has done, like Mary? She truly considered and treasured up all that God had done. I need to do the same. From now on, I want to start my day, not by griping and stressing, but being thankful for all of the small and big things God has done in my life.

What about you?


“The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy” (Psalm 126:3).

No comments:

Post a Comment