Monday, November 2, 2009

The Wake Up Call: Numbers 5-8; Mark 13:1-37

"Therefore keep watch because you do not know when the owner of the house will come back—whether in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or at dawn. If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping. What I say to you, I say to everyone: 'Watch!' " (Mark 13:35-37).

Jesus warns us in these above verses to be alert and ready for his emanate turn. Oh how I look forward to those days in eternity, where there will be no more sickness, no more hardships, and no more death. Won’t that be wonderful? Until then, we are warned to not sleep through our Christian lives, but to live every moment for Christ.
What does sleeping mean in the above verse? The Greek work for sleeping used in verse 36 is “katheudō” which means to literally fall sleep or to metaphorically “yield to sloth and sin or to be indifferent to one’s salvation.”*
There have been times in my life when I have definitely been “indifferent” to my salvation. You see, I’ve been a Christian my entire life. I’ve read the verses, sung the hymns, and heard the way a proper Christian should act over and over again. This causes me to become callous to the things of God. From time to time, God has to shake me and remind me of the tremendous gift he gave me in my salvation.
He wake me up to the fact that he didn’t create me to live a mediocre, Christian life, but to live a life that is completely and utterly fulfilling and joyful. He has to wake me up to the fact that he didn’t create me to just mingle in my Christian circles, but to reach out and touch the unlovable and share with them the amazing love of Christ. He has to wake me up to the fact that life as a Christian should never be ordinary, but extraordinary.

Are you spiritually asleep today? How do you need to wake up?



*Blue Letter Bible. "Dictionary and Word Search for katheudō (Strong's 2518)". Blue Letter Bible. 1996-2009. 2 Nov 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment