Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Numbers 12-14; Mark 14:27-53

Numbers 14:24 “But because my servant Caleb has a different spirit and follows me wholeheartedly, I will bring him into the land he went to, and his descendants will inherit it” (Numbers 14:25).
I admire Caleb. While the rest of the spies were afraid and spread that fear throughout the Israelite camp, Caleb (and Joshua) stood up and proclaimed that the Lord would provide. While the other spies went on and on about the giants of the land and how scary they were, Caleb told the people that they could “certainly do it” (Numbers 13:30). What bravery, what trust in God’s provision. God honored Caleb by giving him a special gift. He would be one of only two people that would make the entire trip from Egypt to Canaan. Because of the Israelites lack of faith, the original groups fate would be thus: “In this desert your bodies will fall—every one of you twenty years old or more who was counted in the census and who has grumbled against me. Not one of you will enter the land I swore with uplifted hand to make your home, except Caleb son of Jephunneh and Joshua son of Nun.” (Numbers 14:29-30). Caleb, Joshua, and the descendants of the original group would one day have the honor of entering the promise land. Until then they would have to wait in the desert for the unfaithful to die out. What an awful consequence for the sins. I could say that they got what they deserved, but I have to take the plank out of my own eye first (Matthew 7:3).
How often to I find myself griping about the very life God has given me? How often do I wish that things could be different? How often to I fail to give thanks to my Lord for all that I have? And how often to I worry, instead of trusting that He will provide in the future?
Today’s reading has certainly given me a lot to think about. What about you?

Lord, help me to be more like Caleb, not complaining or worrying, but instead trusting that you will provide in any and every situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment