Friday, November 13, 2009

Numbers 17-19; Mark 15:1-25

I’m in need of some cleansing today. In fact, I’m in need of cleansing everyday. Everyday I do things I wish I wouldn’t do. I say things I don’t want to say, I act a way I shouldn’t act, I am once again tempted by the same old sin. Everyday I need to be washed anew.
I love the picture of the cleansing water in Numbers 19. When the Israelites sinned, a sacrifice had to be made. The ashes from that sacrifice, mixed with water, were something the Israelites could visually pour over themselves in an act of cleansing. This was a physical act of a spiritual change in their hearts. Through the sacrificial cleansing they were forgiven. For them this was a process they had to go through time after time. It wasn’t until Christ’s death on the cross that all of the sins of the world were forgiven. Christ became the ultimate living water for each of us. Jesus revealed this living water to the Samaritan woman in John 4:13-14: "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." Through his death on the cross Christ gave us everlasting living water. This water cleanses us more completely than any act of sacrifice we could ever do. This water is complete. It covers every sin we’ve ever committed and ever will. Daily I’m in need of this reminder that his living water covers me and purifies me day by day. Daily I’m in need of the reminder that this earth and all of its woes will one day pass away.: “For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; he will lead them to springs of living water. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes." (Revelation 7:17). Until then, I pray for cleansing as I face each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment