Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Melancholy soul


I think I have a bit of a melancholy soul (is that the right word? Now I’m not sure…). I’m drawn to the sad, the heartfelt. I love rainy days and jazzy music. I like to brood a bit, and ponder, and write. In fact, I think that this very soul is what makes me a writer. I think it’s those pensive times, those introspective times that I write the most.

It’s on such days that I have to choose to be happy. I have to choose to look for the positive around me. It would be easy to become completely depressed, but I’ve traveled that path before and don’t want to get back to that place. Instead, I choose to use those days to listen to the Holy Spirit’s voice and to see what He might have for me.

And often, when I’m quiet enough, He talks. Sometimes there’s a lesson involved, a person to pray for, or just an overwhelming sense of peace.

I think such days are good for me. They give me perspective. They give me a sense of connection with my Savior. They are a part of what makes me, well, me.

Do you ever have rather “melancholy” days? What do you do on such days? Does God ever speak to you during those times?

No comments:

Post a Comment