Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Tears of a Mother

Today's reading: Psalms 106, 111, 112; 1st Thessalonians 2

“Indeed, you are our glory and joy” (1 Thessalonians 2:20 NIV).

“Even in darkness light dawns for the upright, for the gracious and compassionate and righteous man” (Psalm 112:4 NIV).

“His heart is secure, he will have no fear” (Psalm 112:8 NIV).

When my daughter was born eleven days ago, my husband and I suddenly entered a brand-new word called parenthood. In that moment we were given the responsibility to rear up a sweet little girl, so that she, too, would one day love and serve the Savior of the world. The responsibility is so immense and overwhelming. I’ve cried more tears since this little girl arrived then I’ve cried in years. Many of them were tears of desperation, of second-guessing, of being unsure if we’d made the right decisions already. Many of them were tears of feeling alone, of forgetting how great my God truly is.

In all of the chaos of bringing a new life into the world, I think my heart got a little misaligned. In feeling the great responsibility as caregiver to this little life, my eyes began to lose their focus. In focusing on my emotions, I forgot to trust in the one who gave life to us all.

For when we trust in Him we really have nothing to fear. He is in control of this crazy life we live. He sees the big picture even when we cannot.

And so, as I leave you today to run off and take care of my little girl, I pray for joy in each of our lives. I pray for peace. And I pray that whatever you and I may face today, we’ll face it without fear, because we know where our ultimate hope lies, not in this world, but in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment