Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Our God the Builder

Our God the Builder

Today’s Reading: Psalm 127-129; Acts 18

I’ve been staring at these verses for quite awhile. In fact, I actually read them two days ago, and I’ve been wondering what to write ever since. Nothing really has been coming to mind. Sometimes when I read scripture a verse leaps off the page and pricks my heart. The application to my life is instantly there. Other times I don’t really find anything that applies. This morning, I finally found an application. Here’s what I found:
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain” (Psalm 127:1 NIV).

My husband and I made a vow, way back when we were still dating, that God would always be at the center of our relationship. We truly believe that by keeping our focus on God, we will be drawn closer together as a couple. At times, this is easier said then done. It’s so easy to get our focus out of whack. We get busy, get preoccupied, and rely too much on our significant other for our happiness.
This last part is where I fail especially. I depend on my husband too much, and forget to depend on my God most of all. For, as much as my husband loves and protects me, he can never love me as much as my Savior. That is why my focus and dependence has to be on my God most of all. My husband will sadly fall short from time to time, my God never will.
By keeping our focus on God, we are allowing Him to build up our marriage, our family, our household. We’re allowing Him to ultimately be in control. This takes on a new meaning now that we have a small daughter. The responsibility of caring for her is daunting at times. We need our Savior to be in control like never before. We need His direction, guidance and wisdom to help us as we rear up this young soul. We need Him to build up our house, because it wouldn’t be pretty if we tried to do it on our own.

Who is building up your household?

No comments:

Post a Comment