Friday, May 8, 2009

Love is... not easily angered

The attributes in 1 Corinthians 13:5 can be really tough to carry out sometimes. The Apostle Paul tells us that love is not easily angered, but how do we live this out?

I have to admit that I’ve already had a few times today when I’ve become angry and resentful. It’s easy for me to hold a grudge when I feel that I’ve been wronged, and harder for me to show the love and graciousness God calls me to.

For me not being angry includes holding my tongue.

Proverbs 29:23 says that “An angry man stirs up dissension and a hot-tempered one commits many sins.” I know I have said many things in a moment of anger, only to regret them later. This verse from Proverbs reminds us that sin often results from anger. Isn’t it true that we often do and say things in a moment of heated argument that we often regret later? As James tells us, the tongue is a dangerous weapon. It is poison in our lives (James 3:8). In moments of anger it hurts deeply… the wounds it causes are hard to repair.
The destruction an angry tongue causes are not products of love. What does love look like then? How does a Christian respond to moments of irritation?

Instead of anger, those who love with the Love of Christ must exhibit patience. Listen to the words of wise King Solomon: “A man’s wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense” (Proverbs 19:11).

Sometimes, holding one’s tongue is what love is all about. Sometimes all it takes is a little God given patience to get past those moments of irritation and move one. For love is being patient when those we love the most annoy us the most.




Prayer: Lord, please replace any angry moments in this coming day with patience and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment