Thursday, May 28, 2009

Love... does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth


It was unintentional, but it still hurt. The words spoken weren’t meant to be spiteful, but they still struck a cord inside of me. Now the decision point comes. Do I tell this dear one that they hurt me, or do I hold it inside? As a peacemaker, my first choice would be to internalize and never tell this person how their words wounded me. But 1 Corinthians 13:6 says that love “rejoices with the truth.” If I internalized this hurt, I wouldn’t be doing myself, or this loved one any good. I would only be building a wall between me and this person, and causing more trouble in the future.


At times, it’s hard to be truthful with those we love, isn't it? Consider Psalm 15:1-4: “LORD, who may dwell in your sanctuary? Who may live on your holy hill? He whose walk is blameless and who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from his heart and has no slander on his tongue, who does his neighbor no wrong and casts no slur on his fellowman, who despises a vile man but honors those who fear the LORD, who keeps his oath even when it hurts.”

Speaking the truth from the heart can be difficult. It can be painful. It can cause strife. But it can also cause healing.

What do you need to be truthful about today? What has God been saying to you? How can God bring healing to your relationships through love and truthfulness?

I’ll leave you with John 3:20-21: “Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God."

No comments:

Post a Comment