Monday, June 29, 2009

The Potters Hand

Last night at church I watched a potter work his wheel. He was completely in control. As he worked with the clay he formed and reformed the shape on the wheel. It was hard to tell what the clay would end up being in the end. But he knew. The potter had a clear picture in mind of exactly what he was making. He looked at the dirt and saw something beautiful.

What a profound image of our walk with God. He sees the outcome, even when we cannot.
Consider these verses about God, our potter:

Isaiah 29: 16 "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, 'He did not make me'? Can the pot say of the potter, 'He knows nothing'?"

Isaiah 64:8 "Yet, O LORD, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand."

Jeremiah 18: 1-4 "This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD : 'Go down to the potter's house, and there I will give you my message.' So I went down to the potter's house, and I saw him working at the wheel. But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him."

What an image of how God works in each of our lives! He is molding and making us every step of the way. He sees beauty, even when we cannot. He sees the final product. He calls it beautiful.


Thank you for seeing the promise of a beautiful vessel in me dear Lord.
Thank you for seeing through the scratches and calling me beautiful, unique, significant.
Thank you for the reminder that I am no mistake, but a work of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment