Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Love is... not envious

1 Cor. 13:4 “It does not envy”

Newly married, my outlook on life has drastically changed. One look around my apartment and I can easily find myself wishing I had something better. The mismatched furniture and ancient kitchen appliances fall short of my desires for an up-to-date, trendy household. Not that there’s anything wrong with our second hand things, but they’re not new. When I was a college student the used furniture was fine, but now that I’m married, it’s not. It’s easy for me to get into the pattern of comparing my lot in life to my friends and family. Before long, I start wishing that I had what they have. This cycle of envy is never ending. If I’m not careful I could constantly pick out the shortcomings in my own life and compare myself to my friends. This is not a peaceful way of life. Proverbs 14:30 says, “A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones.”
Envy rots… it’s an ugly thing. My encouragement for you today is to not get stuck in this cycle of envy. Instead, thank God for the blessings he has placed in your life, big and small.


Lord, please help me to not focus on the things I don’t have, but instead focus on all that you have given me. Today I will chose to give thanks, for you are good and your love endures forever (paraphrased, Psalm 107:1).

No comments:

Post a Comment