Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Can you stop wiggling, even for a second?

I am one of those people with an extreme urge to wiggle. It’s been there ever since I was a little girl. If I’m standing, I’m leaning back and forth, shifting my weight from one foot to the other. If I’m sitting I’m likely playing with the pen in my hand, tapping it on the tabletop or twisting a strand or two of hair between my fingertips. I cannot sit perfectly still. I honestly think it’s impossible. My hands, my feet and my mind never stop. I’m a world-class multi-tasker.
Psalm 46:10 says, “Be Still and Know that I Am God,” hard words for a girl such as myself. Even so, this is an area that God constantly calls me on. This may mean physically laying still, face flat on the floor before my God. Or it could mean slowing down my mind and basking in the presence of God.
Sure, there are things I want to fix in my life, things I wish I could change, but God is calling me to be happy in this moment. To praise him for everything I do have, and pray about anything that may be bothering me. To be still, I need to push the pause button on my life and get a reminder about who is really in charge. I need to stop wiggling, just for a moment, and listen for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment